Starter Bikes is a collaborative project between Georgia Tech’s Students Organizing for Sustainability and the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. Volunteers refurbish abandoned and donated bikes into low-cost, entry level bicycles for students and community members in need of inexpensive but reliable transportation. The program is also available for people who would like to try a bike, but don’t want to make a large up-front investment until they have more experience.
Starter Bikes also provides free access to tools, so you can fix your bike yourself. Volunteers are available to provide mechanical expertise.
Hours and Location Starter Bikes is open from 4-6pm on Fridays, and can be found in the bottom level of the CRC parking deck (easiest access is from the parking deck entry behind the CRC, or by walking down the stairs on the north side of the CRC).
Cost Bikes are available in a range of prices, from free to $150 depending on quality and condition.
- Working bikes range from $50-$150 depending on quality.
- If a bike requires repair, the price is reduced by anywhere from $5-$50 depending on how much work is needed. If you fix it up yourself, you get it for the cheaper price. Don’t worry if you don’t have any experience in bicycle repair, we’re here to help you learn.
Prices designated by Starter Bike Volunteer Manager – thanks for not haggling. To purchase a bike, visit the “cage” on the Georgia Tech campus.
Condition and terms All bikes are sold in working condition, but you will be asked to sign a waiver recognizing that these are used bikes – refurbished but not perfect – and that all bikes require maintenance to stay in working condition.
Buyback rates We’ll buy back the bike for the original price minus a rental fee. The rental fee is $10/week, until it reaches half the cost of the bike. After that, it doesn’t increase. We won’t buy back after 6 months. Any damage to the bike when it is returned increases the rental fee.
- Locks: Customers are strongly encouraged to purchase a lock for $20 – think of this as a warranty for your bike! Our locks are sturdy U-locks, much more secure than cables.
- Lights: A front white light and red rear reflector are required under Georgia law when riding in low-light conditions. Get your set of front and rear lights for just $5!
- Helmets: Just $10! When something so inexpensive could save your life, isn’t it worth it?
For more info, consult ABC’s StarterBikes page. Please do not pay online without first selecting a bike in person.