Starter Bikes is a cooperative bicycle shop. We have all of the tool and parts to fix a bike, plus we have volunteers who are there to teach you how to fix your bike. Volunteers help you refurbish abandoned and donated bikes into low-cost, entry level bicycles for students and community members in need of inexpensive but reliable transportation. The program is also available for people who would like to try a bike, but don’t want to make a large up-front investment until they have more experience.
Starter Bikes also provides free access to tools, so you can fix your bike yourself. Volunteers are available to provide mechanical expertise.
Hours and Location Starter Bikes is open from 4-6pm on Fridays, and can be found in the bottom level of the CRC parking deck (easiest access is from the parking deck entry behind the CRC, or by walking down the stairs on the north side of the CRC).
- Working bikes range from $50-$150 depending on quality.
- If a bike requires repair, the price is reduced by anywhere from $5-$50 depending on how much work is needed. If you fix it up yourself, you get it for the cheaper price. Don’t worry if you don’t have any experience in bicycle repair: we’re here to help you learn.
- You only pay once your bike is completed and you’re ready to bring it home; if it takes more than one afternoon to finish, we will set it aside to work on the following Friday.
Prices are designated by Starter Bikes Volunteer Manager – thanks for not haggling. To purchase a bike, visit the “cage” on the Georgia Tech campus. Our stock fluctuates often, so check back if you don’t find a bike the first time. Only after picking up your bike, parts or safety equipment at Starter Bikes, you can pay by debit or credit card here.
Condition and terms All bikes are sold in working condition, but you will be asked to sign a waiver recognizing that these are used bikes – refurbished but not perfect – and that all bikes require maintenance to stay in working condition.
- Locks: Customers are strongly encouraged to purchase a lock for $15 – think of this as a warranty for your bike! Our locks are sturdy U-locks, much more secure than cables.
- Lights: A front white light and red rear reflector are required under Georgia law when riding in low-light conditions. Get your set of front and rear lights for just $5! (And spoke lights are included too!)
- Helmets: Just $15! When something so inexpensive could save your life, isn’t it worth it?
- Reflective tape: The more visible you are, the better!
Getting in Touch
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. You can report abandoned bicycles here, and report infrastructure issues here. We’re also on Facebook, where events are generally mirrored, though our main events page is here.
And yes, we’re always looking for new volunteers! Just drop by on Friday to introduce yourself, or send us an email.
If you are graduating or permanently leaving campus and your bike will not be accompanying you, please consider dropping it off at Starter Bikes so that we can pass it along to a student in need of transportation. Bicycles left on racks throughout campus will eventually be collected and brought to Starter Bikes.
Donations to Starter Bikes are tax-deductible, and most sincerely appreciated! Please stop by when we are open or email us at email@example.com at your convenience. Any and all bike-related items are useful. We thank you for your support.