2011 Georgia Tech Bike Week (September 26-30)
This September 26-30 marks the first Georgia Tech Bike Week, created to encourage more people to ride their bikes to and around Georgia Tech, through prizes, incentives, fun events, and competition.
The centerpiece of Bike Week is a week-long Commuter Challenge. All students, staff, and faculty can use a simple form (which will be made available on the bike.gatech.edu front page during the week) to log their miles and department each day; by doing so, you will be entered in random drawings, and eligible to win prizes for mileage and days ridden! Plus, departments will be competing with each other for the opportunity to have a bike rack dedicated to their victory at their building, plus year-long bragging rights!
In addition to the commuter competition, there are events each day, including:
- Information tables Monday afternoon from 1-4pm along Tech Walkway
- A team (2-4 people) scavenger hunt Tuesday-Wednesday (Pick up your packet on Tech Walkway at the StarterBikes repair station between 11-1 on Tuesday, it’s due between 11-1 on Wednesday)
- A Heels on Wheels Ride (ladies only!) on Wednesday (departing at 6pm from the lot behind the Student Center)
-“All of the Bikes” music video showing on Wednesday in Student Center Theater from 11am-1pm (video made specially for Bike Week!)
- Bike Fashion Show Thursday 11-12 in front of Ferst Amphitheater
- “How Can We Make Tech More Bike-Friendly?” Townhall Thursday at 6pm in room 320 of the Student Center
- Tour de Tech social ride Friday afternoon (6pm) with members of the administration, including staff of Capital Planning, Parking and Transportation, Facilities, and perhaps some surprise guests! (This ride is very casual, and will feature a demo from viaCycle Bike Share!) Departs from the Trolley turnaround adjacent to the Student Center and Tech Walkway.
There will also be free repair stations open along Tech Walkway all week between 11am-1pm!
Bike Week is a collaboration between the Bicycle Infrastructure Improvement Committee (BIIC), StarterBikes, Students Organizing for Sustainability (SOS), Students for Progressive Transit (SfPT), viaCycle, GT Cycling Club, and many others. Make sure to check back in during the week for updated information including prize details, photos, and more!
-Poster courtesy of Christian DiCenso